I started cooking when I was 20 and this was my first dish. It is a simple dish packed with spices and have made it a thousand times. It is accompanied with flatbreads, wraps or chapattis.
I tbsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli flakes
tsp ground cumin
tsp garam masala
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion sliced
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 clove garlic grated
½ cup water
1 cup frozen peas (You can also use fresh peas)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Chop the potatoes in cubes. If using baby potatoes quarter them.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and wait for it to pop. Once popped add the onions, garlic and ginger. Stir until it’s soft.
- Add the spices as well as the salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, coat with onion and spices. Add the water and simmer for 15-20 minutes or just tender.
- Add peas and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Make sure potatoes is cooked through and water absorbed.
Dish serves 4
If you don’t have mustard seeds add 1 tsp of mustard powder.
If using mustard powder
Heat oil in a pan and add onions garlic and ginger. Cook until soft.
Add the spices cumin, mustard powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt and pepper.
Continue step 4 and 5
Try these vegetarian dish